Pages

"No true fiasco ever began as a quest for mere adequacy. A motto of the
British Special Air Force is: 'Those who risk, win.' "
~Elizabethtown




Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Independence

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose...
 As a social studies teacher, this is one of my favorite holidays. This past year I got to teach 4th grade SS which includes the American Revolution-- one of my favorite time periods. I did my best to not only teach the facts of this monumental event, but also to instill in the students just how BRAVE the founding fathers were. Had the war ended differently, every signer of the Declaration of Independence would surely have been executed. Imagine how they felt as they put pen to paper to sign their "John Hancock".

To the brave men and women who continue to defend the freedom these heroes fought so hard for, thank you. Ironically it was four years ago today I got a phone call that my brother William had been injured in Iraq. Of course, I immediately thought the worst: IUD, gunfire, bombs... luckily it wasn't THAT bad-- I mean, it was bad-- 2nd and 3rd degree burns over 80-90% of his leg-- but he still has all his parts and is able to be active. Not all were that lucky.



I've done some things in my life that I consider "brave," but I have NO idea what it must be like to put my life on the line for my country. Anyone who does that, or is willing to do that, goes through the training process to do that, etc. truly are heroes.

Because of you all, this continues to be a land of opportunity. Many people still risk their life to come here for something better. Often we take for granted all that we have. I truly hope that all the immigration issues are resolved so that those looking for a better life are able to do so. Having now gone through the immigration process, I KNOW how hard it is, and can see why going the illegal route is so tempting to so many. I'm not saying it's right-- just that it is understandable. Being willing to take that risk shows how desperate some people (and places) are.

O beautiful for spacious skies, 
For amber waves of grain, 
For purple mountain majesties 
Above the fruited plain! 
America! America! 
God shed his grace on thee 
And crown thy good with brotherhood 
From sea to shining sea! 

 So HAPPY BIRTHDAY, America! I hope everyone has a safe, fun day!

No comments: