Pages

"No true fiasco ever began as a quest for mere adequacy. A motto of the
British Special Air Force is: 'Those who risk, win.' "
~Elizabethtown




Monday, January 31, 2011

Book Club 2011, vol. 1

This year I have set the goal of reading 35 books. This also includes audiobooks-- which I love to listen to while driving to and from school, cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc. And I got a Kindle for Christmas-- which I LOVE! (Thanks Hubby!)

Here is my list so far:

  1. Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen-- this is a fun, easy mystery set in London in the 1920's.
  2. You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning by Celia Rivenbark-- a collection of funny essays mainly pertaining to Southern women. I didn't enjoy this one as much as I hoped I would, but it was OK.
  3. The English American by Allison Larkin (audiobook)-- I really enjoyed this one! Between her ties to both Britain and America, and the fact she is adopted, I found I had a lot in common with the main character.
  4. Murder of a Chocolate Covered Cherry by Denise Swenson (audiobook)-- also a fun, easy mystery. I enjoy these mysteries that also incorporate baking. Seems there are several series of them now.
Currently Reading:

The Help by Kathryn Stockett
I swear, I will finish this one soon! I love it!

Ghost Soldier by Elaine Marie Alphin
Reading this one to the kids at school. We missed so many days for snow I feel like we will never finish it. This one relates to the Civil War.

Currently Listening:

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger
Ia m really enjoying this one. It is different and kind of strange. Again, it takes place in London (one of my favorite places, can you tell?) This is by the author that wrote The Time Traveller's Wife, which I never read. But several reviews of HFS have made complaints because it is not like TTTW-- well, who would want the same book all over again?

Up Next:

Unberable Lightness by Portia De Rossi
This is one my friend and fellow book club blogger Justy Mac chose for our reading selection. I hear great things about it. I did a lot of research on eating disorders in several of my psychology classes in college, so I look forward to her perspective on it.

Whiskey Sour by J.A. Konrath
Saw this one on sale on audible.com. Looks fun!

My friend Justy Mac and I have started a book club blog this year-- please feel free to read with us, or comment on what we are reading or should read next!

Two Pelicans Book Club

No comments: