Pages

"No true fiasco ever began as a quest for mere adequacy. A motto of the
British Special Air Force is: 'Those who risk, win.' "
~Elizabethtown




Friday, March 26, 2010

Security Blanket

What a week! I feel like I say that every week lately. As I have already mentioned, this is a very trying school year.

Today was especially rough at school... all sorts of nonsense. Plus I was really tired to begin with-- was up late (after dozing off on the couch only to be awoken by a major Thunderstorm...) Then the internet was down, so I couldn't chat with the hubby-- always a downer!

During these tough times I like to identify and focus on things that make me feel better. Growing up I, like my buddy Linus here, had a security blanket. (well, I STILL have it but do not carry it around-- though maybe it would make me feel better at school!)

So I have decided to make a list of some of my grown-up "Security Blankets":

*Matt... I cannot wait for him to be here! I will be much calmer and much happier I am sure!




* My cats... yes, I am a crazy cat lady! But after a crappy day at school, it's nice to have some unconditional love from the furry children. They know when I am upset, and will just come sit with me.



* My family... They are awesome... from advice from Gma to help moving things & heavy lifting from the brothers, everyone has been most helpful.

* Audible.com... I don't have much time to read lately-- something I have always used as an escape... but audiobooks on the iPod seriously help. I love to get lost in a great story, especially if it takes my mind off other worries, commutes to school, or household tasks.

* My friends... Like the fam, my friends have been a huge help during this stressful time. Luckily I have some amazing friends at school that help out when I am about to fall apart. Outside of school I have also called more upon the friend brigade... from changing litter, to taking junk to Goodwill for me... from taking me out to eat to offering to paint the nursery... I've got AWESOME friends!

*My kitchen... baking always calms me down... and luckily, I have some GREAT taste-testers at school!


Sometimes life is hard... and often it is not fair. But when those hurdles continually pop up in my way, I turn to these things that give me comfort or make me feel better, even if just temporarily.

No comments: