Pages

"No true fiasco ever began as a quest for mere adequacy. A motto of the
British Special Air Force is: 'Those who risk, win.' "
~Elizabethtown




Thursday, June 7, 2012

30 Day Blog Challenge: Day 7

Do you read? What are your favorite books?

Oh my YES! And, I have several!

I have always been a voracious reader. Not as much now-- unless you count Maddie's endless books on pigs and Goodnight Moon-- but I do try to keep one book and one audiobook going at all times.

I love the Harry Potter books. All of them. LOVE. My mom turned me on to them. At first I was very skeptical-- but as usual, mom was right. I read the first 3 in a week, then had to wait patiently for #4 and all the others to come out. I was one of the crazies at the bookstore on midnight on release days-- having slept most of the day so I could stay up reading. And then I discovered them on audio (Thanks again, mom!) Oh my. I still listen to them regularly. I'm blown away by the character and plot developments throughout the series.

I'm definitely more of a mystery reader. Most of the books I get on audio are mysteries. And I love stories set in England. Lately I have been listening to the Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes series by Laurie King. An interesting concept on if Sherlock gained a female apprentice later in life.

Last year I read The Help which I found amazing.

One of my New Year's resolutions this year was to read The Hunger Games-- mainly b/c I was SO tired of everyone asking if I HAD read it. (When you like Harry Potter, everyone assumes you will love the next big thing in young adult fiction. To answer your question, NO, I hated Twilight)- this is probably what made me hesitant with Hunger Games. I can admit when I am wrong-- I really enjoyed the series-- though I felt the last book was rushed and somewhat disjointed.

Some other books/ series I love:

The Royal Spyness Mysteries by Rhys Bowen
The Flavia DeLuce novels by Alan Bradley
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
Dublin Murder Squad series by Tana French
The English American by Alison Larkin
Belly Laughs by Jenny McCarthy
The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells

No comments: