Pages

"No true fiasco ever began as a quest for mere adequacy. A motto of the
British Special Air Force is: 'Those who risk, win.' "
~Elizabethtown




Thursday, December 4, 2008

Advent Blog: Day 4~ Spunk

One of our vocabulary words @ school this week is spunk. I have noticed that the word keeps coming up in other places.

Case in point-- @ the basketball game tonight-- I have always described one of our stronger players as "spunky." She has serious hustle. I am not a basketball fan at all-- but I really get into the sport at the elementary school level. Crazy, I know.

Back in the day when I was a colorguard instructor @ Powell, we used to use the word "spunky" a lot. I can't really remember how it all started-- I used to act a-fool, especially on the bus, to amuse the guard members. I used to re-enact the "Da Bears" skit from SNL... And do a really bad Rocky & Bullwinkle impression-- which somehow evolved into me saying "I'm a spunky moose!" I have group pictures of the entire guard doing the spunky moose pose.

By definition, "spunk" means spirit.

I tend to like people that have spunk, or a spirit about them. They are fiesty, playful, and usually a lot of fun. So during this holiday season let's all try to be a little more spunky!

As an aside, I don't advise replacing the word "spirit" with the word "spunk." During this time of year-- you see the word "spirit" a lot.... However, holiday phrases such as "Catch the Spirit" and "Christmas Spirit" just don't seem as festive as "Catch the Spunk" or "Christmas Spunk"

And yes, I am aware that there is a slang definition for "spunk"

:)

No comments: