Pages

"No true fiasco ever began as a quest for mere adequacy. A motto of the
British Special Air Force is: 'Those who risk, win.' "
~Elizabethtown




Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Advent Blog: Day 9~ Time

Time.

It's supposed to heal all wounds. Is that true? How long is too long? Is it ok to hold grudges? Does it ever really accomplish anything in the long run? Afterall, TIME is a 4 letter word.


Seems there's never enough time... unless you REALLY want something, then there is too much. Especially in today's instantaneous world. We are used to getting what we want immediately. From high-speed internet to pay-per-view movies... Trust me, kids today have little idea what it is to wait for something. And when they do have to wait, they get MAD.

Now, don't get me wrong-- I LOVE my high-speed internet... dial up makes me crazy! And I have even been introduced to the wonders of On Demand and Pay-per-View lately.

But why is time something we can NEVER seem to get right?

In dealing with people, we wait... sometimes a LOT! How long is too long to wait for someone? to wait for a call? to wait on a dream? Is it ok to wait forever-- as long as you are not missing out on life?

With the Christmas holidays it always seems as if it is SO far away... and then suddenly-- YOU HAVE 10 SHOPPING DAYS LEFT! ACK! This is a nightmare-- maybe more so for me b/c I hate to shop.

Where does time go? Where did all those weeks until Christmas and New Year's disappear to?Why do I suddenly have very little time to finish decorating, clean the house, do my baking, finish gifts, and book an airline ticket to CA? And when am I supposed to do that while educating the youth of the world? Oy!

All day long I talk to 10 yr olds about time management-- which is a concept most adults (including myself) don't have down. "Use your time wisely!" I preach. Then I go home and sit on the couch when I could be doing any number of important things. But I am just so tired! And I want some TIME to myself! It's a battle!

Alas. 16 days till Christmas Day. There is nothing I can do about it... so I just have to accept it. And really, if you think about it, we have no idea when our time will be up. So my advice is to live each moment--- do what you want. Don't forget your responsibilities-- it can't ALL be fun and games. But take TIME... do for yourself, as well as others. And try not to think about that pesky hourglass the Wicked Witch of TIME is holding.

Perhaps Hootie & the Blowfish summed it up best:

Time

Time, why do you punish me?
Like a wave bashing into the shore
You wash away my dreams.
Time, why do you walk away?
Like a friend with somewhere to go
You left me crying
Can you teach me about tommorrow
And all the pain and sorrow Running free?
Cause tomorrow's just another day
And I don't believe in time


Time, I don't understand
Children killing in the street
Dying for the color of a rag
Time, hey there red and blue
Wash them in the ocean, make them clean,
Maybe their mothers won't cry tonight
Can you teach me about tomorrow
And all the pain and sorrow Running free?
But tomorrow's just another day
And I don't believe in...

chorus:
Time is wasting
Time is walking
You ain't no friend of mine
I don't know where i'm goin'
I think I'm out of my mind
Thinking about time
And if I die tomorrow, yeah
Just lay me down in sleep

(chorus)

Time, you left me standing there
Like a tree growing all alone
The wind just stripped me bare, stripped me bare
Time, the past has come and gone
The future's far away
Now only lasts for one second, one second
Can you teach me about tomorrow
And all the pain and sorrow Running free?
'Cause tomorrow's just another day
And I don't believe in time

(chorus)

Time, why you punish me?
--
As an aside-- I feel I am currently using my time well-- I have tutoring today and ONE kid came. So, we are in the computer lab researching-- and I am doing my blog now, so that I have time for hip hop and RELAXING tonight. :)

No comments: