Both stories feature
- a main female character that is kind of a loner, misunderstood, and somewhat socially awkward
- a love triangle between the awkward female, the main vampire, and a male character that transforms into a wolf/ dog
- a gang of vampires (2 males, 1 female) that wreak havoc in the small community
- a dominant vampire that fixates on the awkward female character
- mindreading-- though in Twilight it is the Vamp that can read minds... but in both stories there is one person who's mind cannot be read
I really enjoyed the mystery aspect of this story. Usually I can figure out who the murderer is long before the end of the book-- but this story kept me curious & guessing until the end. Sookie was somewhat annoying in her naivety and dimwitedness-- but not enough to completely turn me off. I definitely plan to check out book 2.